Friday, October 20, 2006

Aging Gracefully Goes Thpbbhptt

The October 19th, 2006 Winnipeg Free Press has a front-page story about the upcoming 40th birthday of Debbie, the Assiniboine Park Zoo's prized polar bear. As polar bears rarely reach 25 years old in the wild, and rarely reach 30 years old in captivity, the Zoo considers this something of an event -- and they're already working to arrange some birthday activities and make a birthday cake out of polar bear food for when she actually turns forty around mid-December.

Now, given the picture chosen to appear on the front page of the Free Press, let me ask you something: how happy does the bear seem about nearing 40?


(Berkeley Breathed would be proud.)

Well, I can't really say that I blame her.  If I make it to forty, that's probably how I'm going to feel, too.

Happy almost 40th birthday, curmudgeonly old polar bear!

No comments: