Sunday, December 10, 2006

Ron Sexsmith w/ Jill Barber -- 'The Burt', Saturday, December 9th, 2006

I still haven't talked about the Tokyo Police Club show from a couple weeks ago; I blame work, of course, because work will not leave me be. I have pictures and ruminations and insights and everything for that one.

Not so for this concert. No pictures were taken, because A) I'd forgotten my camera, B) its batteries are dead anyway, and C) the intimidating signs at the entrance of the Walker -- sorry, the Burton Cummings -- suggest that attempting photography would have been a bad idea after all. And there are no major ruminations or insights to pass along, except that Matthew Barber popped up alongside Jill Barber (turns out they're siblings) for one song and I was all "Hey, cool, Matthew Barber!"

Suffice it to say that I am a boy who gets kicked around by love a lot, and listening to Ron Sexsmith magically makes absolutely everything better. My heart grew three sizes that day. I give this concert a million stars out of five, and any reviewer who would score it lower is a soulless and shambling monster. (Professionalism is for the professionals, and for some mysterious reason nobody has been willing to hire me so far. The mind boggles! But anyway.)

The next concert of note coming up is Econoline Crush (!); they're apparently playing way the hell out and gone at Canad Inns Windsor Park on Boxing Day, and though the schedules at work haven't been made that far I have a suspicion that they're going to make me work that night. And I'm not 100% convinced that Econoline Crush will be playing; last year the Zoo was advertising a Boxing Day concert by the Pursuit of Happiness (!!!), and that never actually ended up happening. So stay tuned for potential aargh-ing and sulking around!

No comments: