Monday, May 28, 2007

Oh Yeah, Hey, the Stanley Cup Finals Begin Tonight

now how the hell did I forget about

The first game starts in twenty minutes, as it turns out, so I'll go quick and dirty with the prediction routine.

I'm happy to see either team win, because neither team is the New Jersey Devils; I had actually been rooting for Buffalo, as you may have been able to tell, but then as we all know they coughed and keeled over dead like a team of Ukyo Tachibanas. Alas.

So while I don't have any particular preference, here's what I suspect is going to happen. Most guesses I've seen, both amateur and professional, peg the Sens as winning in six games -- and while I'm as conformist as the next guy (ba-dum-bum-tssh), I'm going to buck the trend and say Anaheim wins in seven.

And then I'm going to go even further with my predictions and say that Anaheim will be leading by two goals to start the third period of Game 7, Ottawa will score a goal to get within one with plenty of time left, and Anaheim will just barely survive the ensuing barrage of shots and hold on from there to win the Stanley Cup in a coast-to-coast Canadian heartbreaker.

I feel pretty confident about this prediction; this has been exactly the way it's happened the last two years in a row when a Canadian team goes up against a team from the very southern United States in the Stanley Cup Finals. So watch for that.

Yes, the chances of this actually happening now that I've said it are pretty low -- but if this is how it does turn out, oh man, you're going to hear about it!

No comments: