Thursday, September 06, 2007

Miss You, Miss You, Can't Feel Whole (or: Conspicuous Pauses in Convenient Text Form)

Big weekend for music! Here's what's up.

Local funk-fusion heroes Moses Mayes, a band I love dearly, are playing the Pyramid Cabaret this Saturday night. Tickets are $10, a steal of a deal, and the show starts at 9:00 PM.

Can-rock legends 54-40, a band I love dearly, are coming to town as part of the newly-established Banjo Bowl Festival; they'll be playing at Canad Inns Stadium this Saturday night. Tickets for the afternoon-and-evening-long one-day music festival are $20, a steal of a deal, and the band in question is scheduled to start at 9:00 PM.



Conspicuous pause while I glare angrily at my monitor.

I hate it when this happens. Pesky concert schedules, why I oughtta.

The kicker? I don't even intend on being in the city this weekend. It's the cottage life for me, this weekend; I spend all year almost fetishising the time I'll get to spend out along Lake Winnipeg, and now that the good weather is fast fading I have to squeeze in all the time I can up there before everything freezes over and dies a miserable death.

This'll mean missing two concerts that I would have enjoyed greatly, but hey -- I was going to automatically miss at least one of them, so I'm sure missing both will be like nothing. Right? Right! Har har. Besides, there are plenty of concerts to look forward to in the coming months when trips up to the quite non-winterized cottage would be, to put it mildly, a bit of an ordeal. So I'll look to the future! That'll cheer me up!

Why, alt-rock and grunge legend Chris Cornell will be playing the Walker Thea the 'Burt' on September 25th! I've never liked Audioslave all that much, truthfully; I wouldn't even acknowledge Audioslave if it weren't for Chris Cornell, and unless you were a gigantic Rage Against the Machine fan you probably wouldn't have acknowledged them either. I loved Soundgarden, however -- and I'm really digging his recent solo stuff (especially the Unplugged in Sweden concert, which I'll bring up in another post sometime soon), so this concert is going to be aces. If I could scream like Chris Cornell, I would never use an indoor voice again. You think I'm being facetious, but I'm serious about that! And I'm serious about seeing this concert, because I have no doubt in my mind that it is going to be excellent. September 25th! 8:00 PM! It'll be awesome!

Not only that, but local-based world music icon Loreena McKennitt will be playing the Centennial Concert Hall on September 25th! You'll recall that McKennitt had all but disappeared from music after the death of her fiance in 1998; it was another eight years before she put out another album, and as I recall the only performance she did across those eight years was for the combined unveiling of the Golden Boy and visit by the Queen as part of her Golden Jubilee. (The Queen missed Loreena McKennitt's portion of the show because we accidentally stranded her on the river -- remember that? And after all of that Tom Jackson, the host for the evening of concerts, threw in a gag about 'Indian Time' when she finally did arrive at the Legislature? Oh man that was funny stuff. Good times.) I was at that concert, of course, and Loreena McKennitt was the main reason why; I can't tell you how happy I am that she's back on the scene, and likewise I can't tell you how eagerly I anticipate this show. September 25th! 8:00 PM! It'll be awesome!

Man, I'm really looking forward to those! I can't wait to see both of those conc... to see... hey wait a minute you can't honestly mean to tell me th--

AARGH



There's that conspicuous pause again.

54-40 - Miss You (Fight For Love, 1989)
[buy | site | myspace]

Moses Mayes - Cause I Just Hav'ta (Second Ring, 2006)
[buy | site | myspace]

[A Note: My usual storage provider is being finicky, so I'm testing another right now. With any luck these downloads should be working fine.]

I left half a case of Guinness in the fridge up at the cottage. It will not live long.

No comments: