Friday, June 10, 2011

Slurpees and Murder Record Club: Daytime Highway Mixtape

i like you but i am shy so i made you a mixtape :x

I had intended for a fine mixtape... podcast... thing? Ahem. I had intended for a big ol' audio file to be ready for download just as people would be heading out to their out-of-town weekend hideaways of choice today, but then it turns out that my old and slow computer ain't the audio-rendering speedster I remember it being. (It doesn't help that there's a couple dozen files floating around in it.) I am staring at it, and it is still attempting to render, and I am starting to believe that I could have done this faster with actual cassette tape and scissors.

So I'll cut you all a deal: I have important matters to attend to outside, weekendy matters, so I will be back later tonight and -- better late than never! -- drop you this neat file and the details on it. All good? All right! I will meet you folks here in a few hours or so.



Okay, we're back! Ah, the magic of text.

And here is a mixtape! Winnipeggers -- wild-eyed, stir-crazy maniacs as we tend to be after a full winter in the city -- are known to have a lot of creative hiding spots around the province, many of them helpfully within about an hour's drive from the city. And depending on your combination of starting point and preferred route out of town, of course assuming that no traffic or construction outliers jump out and bite you, you can usually be clearing the Perimeter within about fifteen or twenty minutes. So these are the assumptions that went into the playlist; the first twenty minutes or so give you time to get out of the city, and then the highway music kicks in to helpfully accompany your travels.

This mixtape -- I know I'm completely showing my age by continuing to call it that, but humour me my romanticized old-timey affection for the concept -- is ideally for driving out of the city and along the highways while the sun is still up, but is perhaps more ideally for staring out the window at the clouds and sky to daydream while somebody else is doing said driving. And if that second part describes you, please don't tell me; I never get to do that any more, so I would just end up being be all jealous about it.

So submitted for your consideration at this time is a seventy-seven-minute mixtape, which conveniently means it fits onto a CD-R if you're still into that sort of thing. (I know, I know, showing my age again. That was a thing once too, all right?) You have a couple options for download size and sound quality preferences, because hey, why not:

Daytime Highway Mixtape (192 kbps) (105MB)
or
Daytime Highway Mixtape (128 kbps) (70MB)

Tracklist:

Naoto Tanaka - Theme of Black Baron
Hawa - D.A.N.C.E. (7")
Al Green - I Want to Hold Your Hand
Mulatu Astatke - Emnete
Femi Kuti - Eh Oh
Lissie - Record Collector
Clearlake - Good Clean Fun
The Sounds - Song With a Mission
Bad Religion - Man With a Mission
Matt Mays + El Torpedo - Cocaine Cowgirl
Teddybears feat. Neneh Cherry - Yours to Keep
Projet Orange - Megaphobe
Lucero - I Can Get Us Out of Here Tonight
Bob Mould - The Silence Between Us
Lykke Li - Breaking It Up (Alternative Mix)
Uminski - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Soundgarden - Superunknown
The Epoxies - Robot Man
The Seatbelts - What Planet is This?
Moist - Orphelia
Magnet - The Gospel Song
Neko Case - Red Tide

Plus a wee bit of cassette noise at the beginning and end, because I am a total dork. Anyway, enjoy! Next Friday I'll bust out a similar podcast for the drive the other way, back into the city from wherever you're hiding -- although that one will hopefully arrive a little earlier and a little more smoothly than this one went.

Ha ha ha, mixtapes. Wow, I'm old.

No comments: