Saturday, June 25, 2011

Slurpees and Murder Record Club: Summer Recline Mixtape

my feelings for you are complex and confusing so i put a mixtape in your locker

I ended up being kind of busy yesterday, thus missing my post for the day; I'll make a point of sneaking an extra one in somewhere before the month is out, for the sake of retroactively pretending that I said "Daily Post Month" but actually meant "Average Pace of One Post Per Day Month".

But, on to business! So far we've had mixtapes for day and night highway driving, which are all well and good if you've still got about a hundred and twenty kilometers left between where you are and where you need to be. But what if you've got nowhere in particular to be, have no inclination to get out of the city, or just really like lounging around? Well, I do believe I'm about to have you covered.

Given the kind of time I have on my hands these days, I can verify that all of the tracks in the following compilation are good for a variety of leisurely pursuits -- cruising around the city, lying around idly, imbibing tasty beverages, and all varieties of general-purpose swagger. Summer heat is best approached and enjoyed with unflappability, with straight-up not giving a flap, and this is mixtape is intended to encourage said attitude just so.

Select your bitrate:

Summer Recline Mixtape (192 kbps) (105MB)
or
Summer Recline Mixtape (128 kbps) (70MB)

Tracklist:

Antibalas - Gabe's New Joint
Moses Mayes - Intrafusion
Matata - Wanna Do My Thing
Booker T. & The M.G.s - Jericho
Kool & The Gang - Funky Stuff
James Brown - Papa Don't Take No Mess
Big Sugar - Joe Louis / Judgment Day
The Clash - Justice Tonight / Kick It Over
Rhythm & Sound feat. Jah Cotton - Dem Never Know
Willi Williams - Dungeon Dub
Johnny Osbourne - We Need Love
William DeVaughn - Be Thankful for What You Got
The New Meanies - Scenic Anomaly
Gregory Kraj - Champion Reggae
Thee Headcoats - Louis Riel

That last piece there doesn't exactly match the general atmosphere of the greater whole, but I threw it in there anyway because I dig it and maybe you will too. This is, as you have probably gleamed, not an exact science.

This concludes the Slurpees and Murder Record Club June Mixtape series, booked haphazardly and on the fly as it was. Tomorrow I record another episode of Chip Damage Control and then take off to the Lake again for a few days, during which time it will inevitably rain on me because we can't have nice things. Until then, true believers!

No comments: